Drinking mindfully at the gym can help you hydrate more efficiently and improve your workout and recovery time.Read More
The mouth has always been a tell-tale sign of illness. We say "Ahhhhh" at the doctor's office to determine illness, yet when we open wide at the dentist's office there's a huge disconnect between our overall health and oral health. Take for instance bleeding gums.
Bleeding Gums Can Spell Trouble
Bleeding gums are a common condition and generally the result of poor dental hygiene, although sometimes they are the result deficiencies, especially during pregnancy. That being said, persisting and severe gum bleeding is a more serious affair, as well as an indication of periodontal disease. Severe periodontal disease, or periodontitis, is irreversible and often co-exists with type 2 diabetes, according to studies.
Common natural treatments for bleeding gums usually include topical treatments such as a scaling, mouth rinses and even surgery. However, the benefits of celery juice far outweigh these.
Gut health and Gum Recession
Before we get into the benefits of celery juice, let's look at how gum health is affected by other goings on in the body. Low stomach acid can be an unwelcomed by-product of aging. This is because as we age we produce less stomach acid and deal more and more with gastric reflux, or GERD. One reason people struggle with receding gums is not directly because of GERD, but because of poor gut health. When you are sleeping, gastric acids can leech up into the mouth causing gum recession.
Another issue impacting gum health is poor digestion. When food is unable to break down properly during digestion it putrefies in the gut. This putrefaction produces backup. The back up produces an ammonia gas, and much like a fish tank whose water hasn't been changed, the toxic ammonia gas rises up into the mouth eating away at the gums and teeth over time.
Celery juice is a miracle food
Celery Juice is a miracle food in terms of its healing abilities. The benefits of celery juice are plentiful. Celery juice not only increases the amount of hydrochloric acid in the stomach, celery juice also helps to heal high blood pressure, psoriasis and high cholesterol and aids in reversing type 2 diabetes, by cleansing the liver.
The best natural treatment for receding gums is to restore hydrochloric acid in the stomach. This can only be done by adding mineral salts from plant-based foods into the diet. An efficient way to get more mineral salts into the diet is to drink sixteen ounces of celery juice daily on an empty stomach. Mineral salt is essential for the function of the brain as well as the electrical conduction of the heart. The fastest benefit of celery juice is healing the gums. Celery juice ends gum bleeding within in 1-3 days. If you had to opt for that one do-it-all natural treatment to improve your health, drinking celery juice everyday would be an excellent place to start.
Finally, dental health being reflective of overall health has become a more accepted idea. A more "wholistic" approach to illness sees a patient's symptoms as indicative of each other, as opposed to separate from each other. Treating the whole patient in this way gives a broader picture of how dental health can precede most disease, and even be our best natural screening technique warning us of what's to come.
You have not lived until you've mingled the sweet and delicately spicy flavors of my ridiculously easy sweet potato hash. I kid you not -- it's that good!
Sweet potatoes are ridiculously nutritious. They're colorful, packed with antioxidants like beta carotene, vitamins C, E & D, and minerals such as manganese, potassium and iron. Sweet potatoes also do a remarkable job of satisfying your craving for something sweet.
It's a little known fact that sweet potatoes are calming to the body on a cellular level as well as the digestive tract.
Known to be highly protective against cancer, sweet potatoes are by far the perfect go-to food to reach for when you want to a quick and healthy meal. Since they're easy on the digestive tract, sweet potatoes are great for relieving constipation and excellent at binding to and removing heavy metals from the body, such as lead.
All that nourishment and goodness led me to creating this delicious sweet potato hash for you. The really great thing about this dish is, it's versatile. A variation on this dish if you're craving animal protein, is to add some cubed turkey breast in the mix. If you're feeling that's not enough, you may want to top off the hash with a farm-fresh egg.
For those who relish a jacked-up plant-based meal like I do, my ridiculously easy sweet potato hash can stand on its own simply topped with an avocado. This recipe boasts only a handful of ingredients that are readily available and budget friendly. Did I mention the gorgeous fall colors?
Let's get to it. You will need:
- 1- 2 organic sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil
- 1-2 organic scallions chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped red organic hot pepper or 1 chopped green organic serrano pepper
- 1 small ripe organic avocado sliced
In a cool cast-iron pan add cubed sweet potatoes with coconut oil. Cook for eight-ten minutes on medium heat.
Add scallions and hot peppers and toss for another two-three minutes until sweet potatoes are caramel in color and soft, but slightly firm to the touch. (You don't want soggy, overcooked sweet potatoes.)
Season with himalayan salt and pepper to taste.
Plate the sweet potato hash, then top with fresh avocado (as pictured above.) Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve!
Copyright Nancy S. Mure, 2016
Growing up, I remember how excited I would get for Halloween trick-or-treating to begin. I'd rush home from school, put on my costume and mask, then run off with my sister to collect ginormous amounts of candy.
Of course the day wasn't a success unless our trick-or-treat bags were overflowing.
As a rule, we couldn't eat our candy until Mom sifted through the stash to ensure there were no loose candies or opened wrappers, since the big fear was candy tampering or worse, poisoning.
Alarmingly, today's parents still face the same food safety challenges, although they're being tricked by assuming the candy their children collected is safe.
In fact, parents needn't look any further than the candy's nutritional label to see their child, is by all accounts, being poisoned.
I know it sounds a bit dramatic, but what else would you call a processed foodstuff that sends your child's otherwise healthy immune system into overdrive, then repression?
Candy made from toxic substances like artificial colorings, preservatives, additives, MSG, refined sugar and GMOS, are in all truth, poisonous to the living organism, which makes your child's Halloween candy more of a dirty trick than a innocent treat.
Flu season begins in October because ...
An little known and unrecognized fact is that the flu is a diet related disease. The flu is vital action against a body that is malnourished and inadequately fed. Therefore, it is no coincidence that the vitality and health of a child disappears when they are depleted and their nutrition is inadequate.
It is also no coincidence that the flu season begins in October as America's children load up on Halloween candy and continue to indulge in holiday treats well through Valentines Day. This type of junk eating, coupled with a reduction in Vitamin D from the sun during the cooler months, lays the groundwork for what is known as "flu season."
Refined Sugar Is A Depressant Of The Immune System
An undisputed study from 1973 in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has shown that for several hours after ingesting sugar, neutrophils, a form of white blood cells, were less effective at engulfing bacteria.
Put simply, refine sugar depresses the immune system.
If we have known since 1973, that refined sugar depresses the immune system. why haven't food companies done anything about it? Don't count on candy companies to move on this issue anytime soon. Their business is selling candy. It's up to us, the consumers to be well informed.
Then There's High Fructose Corn Syrup
If sugar depresses the immune system, what does High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) do? A Princeton University research team concluded that when it comes to weight gain, rats gained significantly more weight than those rats having access to refined sugar, even when overall caloric intake was the same.
HFCS is not a natural food. It is a genetically modified creation and by all accounts when it comes to your child's health, it is a sweet poison that causes your children to pile on the weight.
Food Companies Tamper With Candy More Than Anyone
By now you've heard of the antagonistic properties of artificial food colorings on children with ADHD, and the petroleum and tar (yes you heard that correctly) in your children's chewy candies. There's also trouble where ingredients are labeled "natural flavors," as this is a hidden form of MSG-- and it's doing a number on your child's brain health.
While there are some companies that will be dropping these ingredients by 2017, it couldn't happen fast enough. That being said, you can avoid poisoning children this Halloween by making informed choices in what you decide to allow your children to eat and by what candy you distribute.
Give Candy With a Purpose
Another way that candy really hurts children is in how it's processed. Thanks to holidays like Halloween, the candy business is a booming 70-billion-dollar industry. Hershey's, Nestle's and other candy companies use the human trafficking, slavery and brutal labor practices of 2.3 million children in the cocoa fields of Ghana and Côte d'Ivoire to get their poisonous product to your child.
To avoid all the poisons that the trick-or-treating season brings, buy candy from sustainable companies with legitimate practices and moderate how much candy your children eat to preserve their health. By distributing candies that make a difference, you can support fair trade chocolate, organic and non-GMO candy companies by voting with your dollars.
- Fair trade dark chocolate minis
- Fair trade milk chocolate minis
- Yummy Earth lolly pops
- Annie's Home Grown Organic Bunny Snacks
- Bitsy's Brainfood Smart Cookies (Nut Free)
By keeping an eye out for the tricks this Halloween and avoiding ingredients such as GMO soy, high fructose corn syrup, and artificial colorings, MSG, petroleum, tar, preservatives and other additives and ingredients in your child's trick-or-treat bag you can ensure you Halloween is a safe and happy one.
Big Pharma hasn't been getting a lot of love lately.
With pharmaceutical company greed exposed and the price gauging of prescription drugs, many Americans are flocking toward natural remedies faster than we can say the word "go". As a result, there's a steadily stream of folks losing trust in their physicians and the modern medicine that keeps them in practice -- and they're losing it fast.
Not shockingly, a whopping 70 percent of Americans rely on at least one prescription drug, while more than half take two, according to researchers at the Mayo Clinic and Olmsted Medical Center. The most commonly prescribed drugs are opioids (13 percent), antidepressants (13 percent) and antibiotics (17 percent).
Medications Are The Biggest Cause of Illness
A new study reports that medications are the biggest cause of sudden deaths related to allergic reactions. Among the most common is anaphylaxis, a life-threatening allergic reaction, according to Allergyfacts.org.
Thing is, allergies, no matter what their cause, mean big bucks for both U.S. and international pharmaceutical companies, which earn billions in sales off of many different branded products, according to Forbes, so while Big Pharma hears cha-ching every time you have an allergic reaction, you involuntarily become their guinea pig. Yay you.
While there's a place in the world for life-saving medications, daily use of multiple over-the-counter and prescribed medications needn't be the norm of everyday life. True healing exists.
Education vs. Medication
Your health is a simple matter of education vs medication. Once you understand the root cause of disease, you can take the natural steps towards healing it. It is a little known fact that every disease begins with one cause; inflammation. While inflammation is always protective, in today's world, the epidemic of chronic, low-grade inflammation is not, which causes more destructive to the balance of your body.
Inflammation can be caused by injury, infection and allergic reaction. A simple way to remember that inflammation is at the root of all illness is to remember that every disease ending with the suffix 'itis' indicates inflammation. To give an example; bronchitis would be an inflammation of the bronchial tubes, while tonsilitis or thyroiditis would be inflammation of the tonsils or thyroid. Diseases that don't end in itis can also involve inflammation. A key driver of heart disease, according to a recent Harvard report is--- you guessed it-- inflammation.
True Power Is Knowing How to Heal Yourself
Now that you know that the root cause of disease is likely inflammation, you are armed with information you need to begin your journey toward reversing it. One major player in creating inflammation in the body is the Standard American Diet. High amounts of mucus-causing animal products, such as meat and dairy, are recommended to be on your dinner plate every night. This coupled with high amounts of fast and processed foods are inflammation-causing, and they're keeping you chronically sick. That means, your daily nutrition habits are by far are your best line of defense against both inflammation and illness.
As I discuss in my book EAT! Empower. Adjust. Triumph!: Lose Ridiculous Weight there's a world of difference between being nourished and being fed. While American's are well fed, they are vitamin and mineral deficient, overweight, malnourished and overmedicated, which is why we are the sickest nation on earth.
When you are nourished, eating a low in animal products and devoid of the fast and processed foods approved, and even recommended, by the FDA, you are the best-equipped at staving off disease. That being said, dealing with illness once it occurs doesn't have to mean multiple trips to the doctor and pharmacy. In most cases, you can heal yourself and your family right at home -- that is, if your natural medicine cabinet is properly stocked.
Natural Remedies Help With More Than One Ailment
The really cool thing about natural healing is it's multi-tasking abilities. Nature is a healing trove of wild foods that contain vitamins and minerals that help to heal more than one symptom and bring balance back to the body. With a well stocked arsenal of natural treatments, coupled with proper nourishment and some good old-fashioned natural healing techniques, you can get back to life as you know it, healthier and stronger than you were before, without reactions, side effects or without negatively impacting your gut health. If that sounds good to you, below is a list (complete with Amazon links) of what you will need, should unexpected symptoms of illness appear.
- Colloidal Silver - Believe the hype! Colloidal Silver is a silver-based antibiotic, which has been used as a remedy well before the advent of penicillin. Colloidal silver is a positively charged, bioactive silver hydrosol, which makes it antibacterial and effective both topically and internally. Use colloidal silver for cuts, eye, ear infections, tooth abscesses or as a preventative for bacterial infections.
- Elderberry Syrup - is a potent, antiviral, anti-bacterial, anticancer syrup made from the elderberry, which is highly antioxidant and healing. Elderberries are an excellent source of Vitamin B17. Elderberry syrup can be used for bronchial and respiratory problems and to loosen and expel congestion in the lungs. It also has an overall uplifting affect on the immune system and is best taken daily as a preventative.
- Mullen Garlic Ear Drops - Garlic contains very strong antibiotic, anti-fungal, anti-cancer, and anti-viral properties. It can be used to remove intestinal worms and to strengthen the lymphatic system. Garlic annihilates H-pylori and is also particularly affective for healing ear infections.
- Goldenseal/Echinacea throat spray - Goldenseal is a godsend if you're dealing with a sore throat. Goldenseal has anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory attributes, and is also highly nutritive containing, the vitamins and minerals C,A,E & B-Complex, iron, calcium and manganese. When coupled with Echinacea, which is also highly antiviral, Goldenseal helps your body heal quickly from colds, flu, sore throat caused by strep and mono, as well as sinusitis, hay fever, bronchitis, canker sores, enlarged lymph glands, ear infections, gingivitis, enlarged prostate, urinary tract infections, and yeast infections. Echinacea is also an excellent blood purifier.
- Oil of Oregano - Oregano isn't only delicious on your pizza! Oregano is a popular herb that is highly nutritive, also boasting a good amount of vitamins like C,A,K and B-complex. Oregano is an amazingly strong and effective anti-bacterial that aids with intestinal discomfort, and relief from bloating and gas. Oil of oregano is sold in easy to take capsules and is also very effective in cleansing the blood.
- Eyebright - has anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, and anti-allergenic properties. Eyebright is a tiny herb that is beneficial for soothing eye-related problems like pink-eye, styes, blurry or weakened vision, and cataracts. Use it together with one or two drops of colloidal silver in the eye for fast healing of styes, which are known to be caused by the strep bacteria.
- Cat's Claw - is nature's steroid. It has powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, anti-tumor, and anti-viral properties. Cat's claw doesn't come from a cat like the name implies, rather it comes from a barky vine, which possesses thorns that look like a cat's claws. Cat's claw helps with almost any inflammatory condition, especially, knee pain, bursitis, frozen shoulder, tooth pain, plantar fasciitis, and appendicitis to name a few. Cat's claw's anti-inflammatory properties help to relieve arthritis, gout, bowel disorders, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, irritable bowel syndrome, and leaky bowel syndrome. If you've been diagnosed with any ailment that ends in 'itis', you'll want to have Cat's Claw handy.
- Manuka honey is a wondrous, healing, antiviral and antibacterial. Manuka honey trumps all antibiotic ointments on the market when it comes to healing injuries and has a shelf life of over twenty years. Manuka honey used topically, is a must for cuts and bruises, while cutting healing time in half. What's more, Manuka honey can also be used on pet injuries without the danger of your pet licking it and being poisoned.
- Lemon Balm is perhaps the most versatile part of your natural medicine cabinet arsenal. Lemon balm is hugely antiviral, so if you're dealing with herpetic viruses such as canker sores, shingles and Epstein Barr Virus, Lemon balm has you covered. Lemon balm doesn't come from lemons, it is a powerful herb that comes from the mint family. Lemon Balm is highly useful in calming the nerves (as in the entire nervous system.) Lemon balm is also ultra effective on the bladder and kidney, helping to reverse UTIs and yeast infections. Lemon balm is great for reliving insomnia, night sweats, gastritis, indigestion, IBS, and stopping diarrhea. Lemon balm also halts histamine reactions related to allergies and can be taken as a tea.
- Turmeric is anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiseptic, and anti-depressant often used for headaches, back pain and joint pain. The active ingredient in turmeric is Curcumin, which has been shown in scientific studies to be as powerful and as ibuprofen, without the gut-bacteria-killing side effects. Curcumin has also been proven strong enough to replace sixteen prescription medications in your conventional medical cabinet! If that's not enough, Curcumin possesses preventative anti-cancer properties, and is known to help inhibit the growth of prostate, skin, colon, mouth, esophagus, lung, stomach, pancreatic, liver, and breast cancer.
- Activated Charcoal comes in hand when you've eaten something toxic. Activated charcoal is a magnet for irritants or toxins ingested into the body that you want to get rid of quickly. Usually used in cases of emergency for poisoning, activated charcoal is swift in absorbing and removing poisons from the bloodstream safely and efficiently. Activated Charcoal is also safe to use on your pets.
- Ionic Zinc - If you have the shingles virus, are allergic to mold, if you are chemically sensitive, you want more of the mineral zinc in your life. Zinc is just not abundant in our food supply the way it should be leaving us all critically deficient. Zinc is important because it fights against pathogens caused by the shedding of viruses in our bodies, like the Epstein Barr and shingles Viruses. These pathogens are what ignites autoimmune responses in the body and zinc is your only armor against them. Take zinc!
Take care of you!
Knowing inflammation the the root cause of disease should ease your mind. Once your nutrition is corrected, your levels of emotional and digestive stress will become reduced, and this in itself, is very healing!
While on this path of true healing, you will find your natural medicine cabinet to be highly effective in correcting and maintaining your overall health. If you haven't already done so, stock up your natural medicine cabinet today. You'll be glad you did!
Heading to college is the first giant step toward independence for many teens around the world. As a now autonomous member of your family, you are suddenly left to fend for yourself, while sharpening your problem-solving skills and advancing into adult life. It's an educational, stressful and fun time.
However, once left to your own devices, your inexperienced autonomy may cause your health to plummet. Poor nutrition, enclosed dorm conditions, forced heating and cooling, coupled with, academic stress, social activities, anxiety and other outside circumstances can inevitably burden the body, laying the groundwork for disease.
Some of the most popular campus ailments include, but are not limited to; upper respiratory infections, bronchitis, Influenza, stomach viruses, and conjunctivitis. Then there's Mononucleosis, taking down one out of every two hundred college students in one fell swoop.
What is Mononucleosis?
According to the Centers for Disease Control, Mononucleosis or Infectious mononucleosis, (also called “Mono,”) is a contagious disease caused by the Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV.) EBV is herpetic in nature, like the herpes virus. Enlarged spleen and a swollen liver are typical symptoms of Mono. For some people, the liver or spleen or both can remain enlarged, even after fever and fatigue ends. A blood test is used to diagnose the disease.
Mono is transmitted by saliva, which is why it's commonly called the "kissing disease" but can be spread by simply sharing someone's drink. Over 3 million cases of Mononucleosis are reported each year. Symptoms generally include:
- Brutal Fatigue
- Swollen glands in the armpits throat and lymph nodes
- Inflammed spleen and liver
Medical Doctors Say There's Nothing You Can Do For Mono
There isn't a whole lot recommended by way of medical treatments in relieving the symptoms of Mono, or preventing EBV from taking up residence in your body. Once diagnosed, the recommend medical advice is rest for 2-4 weeks, avoiding sports and alcohol, drinking plenty of fluids and taking over-the-counter pain meds.
This is equivalent to handing your body over to the virus and saying "Here, EBV take me."
When You Know More, You Can Do More.
Dealing with Mono and it's evil twin EBV can be done naturally and effectively once you know what you're dealing with. It is a little known fact to the medical community that EBV has four stages, according to Anthony William, Medical Medium:
- Stage 1 - is the dormant period. EBV is in your bloodstream getting ready to strike.
- Stage 2 - Mono is present. Symptoms appear and the virus seeks a permanent home in one or more of your organs.
- Stage 3 - EBV nestles itself in the liver or spleen and/or other organs where it strengthens to make its next move.
- Stage 4 - EBV gets into and inflames the central nervous system wrecking havoc on your body.
Getting a diagnosis of Mono puts you in Stage II of the disease. EBV has spent a few weeks in your bloodstream waiting to strike. Essentially, your body is now at war with EBV, fighting hard not to let the virus make your body its home. You are symptomatic. The more vital you are, the more severe your symptoms may be. Sadly, the nature of EBV is so insidious and unrelenting, that your weakened body will lose its fight unless something is done to prevent it. This is where the antivirals come in. You can make a heroic attempt to take down EBV's viral load before it sets up camp.
Offense Is the Best Defense
Now that you know what the Epstein Barr virus has planned for you, its time to strike back. You must take an active role in heading EBV off at the pass. Stage II is the time to strike back. This may be your only opportunity to cut off the Epstein Barr Virus before it has the opportunity to multiply. Thankfully, this can be done easily and effectively and you can heal, but you'll need to follow some rules and adjust some daily habits.
Rule No. 1: Do not feed Epstein Barr
Viruses cannot feed and reproduce by themselves; instead, they need a host to accomplish this. The Epstein Barr Virus sustains itself by feeding off of foods you eat. It also feeds on heavy metals in the bloodstream and in the tissues and it feeds of adrenaline caused by stress. In order to stop feeding Epstein Barr Virus, it is essential to adopt a diet that is void of dairy, wheat, corn, and soy. These feed EBV the food it needs to thrive. I write more about natural eating in my book EAT! - Empower. Adjust. Triumph Lose Ridiculous Weight.
Rule No. 2: Drink liquids With A Purpose
Some believe they can flush EBV out of the body if they drink enough water. This is simply not true. What you're flushing out of the body instead are body salts and other trace minerals that you need to remain healthy. Drinking liquids with a purpose means nourishing yourself with fresh organic juices and herbal teas as much as possible during this time. Both juices and teas are highly beneficial to healing. Fresh citrus juices, fresh lemon tea and ginger tea are particularly health promoting, cleansing and anti-inflammatory. If you must have water be sure it is pure then liven it up with a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime.
Rule No. 3: Take down Epstein Barr's Viral Load
When you are presented with a viral condition as insidious as EPV, the only affective measure to take should be antiviral. There are plants and wild foods provided by nature that have antiviral properties strong enough to knock down EPV's viral load efficiently and effectively. These plant and wild foods taken in combination, work really well to halt EBV from highjacking your cells.
- Raw organic honey is an amazing source of phytonutrients. It has antibiotic, anti-fungal, antiviral, antiseptic, anti-aging and anticancer properties that help to stop EBV from making a home in your body. Honey can be eaten raw by the tablespoon, or could be added to warm water with a squeeze of lemon to get a maximum healing benefit.
- Vitamin C is vital to take during the Mono phase of EBV, and beyond. Vitamin C is highly anti-inflammatory and encourages healing. Vitamin C is especially healing if the source of it is fresh (preferably organic) juices from wild berries, grapes, oranges or grapefruit juices. If fresh juices are not available, Vitamin C can be supplemented. Both Ester C or Liposomal Vitamin C are the most bioavailable.
- L-lysine is an amino acid that is major disruptor of EBV. L-lysine impairs the ability of the virus' cells to move and reproduce, stopping EBV in its tracks.
- Spirulina is a blue green algae with major nutrition and health benefits! Spirulina is one of nature's most effective super-foods/multi-vitamins. It's a complete source of vitamins and minerals can jack up your immune system enough to help fight off EBV and Mono symptoms quickly and efficiently. When taken with Barley Grass Juice Extract, Spirulina also helps to remove heavy metals from the body.
- Elderberry Syrup is a phenomenally effective booster of the immune system. Elderberries grow wild. The syrup is antiviral, antibacterial and anticancer due to it's raw honey content. Incidentally elderberry in itself is an excellent source of Vitamin B 17, as well as other important antioxidants and phytonutrients. Elderberry Syrup should be taken daily during the Mono phase of EBV and beyond to improve and maintain health.
- Golden Seal Throat Spray with Echinacea is antibacterial and alleviates respiratory symptoms and swelling while soothing and healing the throat. Use as needed to ease throat pain.
- Cat's Claw is a plant who's bark is used for medicine. The name cat's claw comes from the thorns on the plant's leaves that look like the claws of a cat. Cat's Claw is a useful herb that acts as a natural steroid, bringing down inflammation of the throat, liver and/or spleen, while lowering EB's viral load.
- Red Clover is a herbaceous species of flowering plant from the bean family. It is cleansing to the lymphatic system, the liver and the spleen. Like L-lysine, Red Clover is also helpful in taking down EBV and stopping it dead in its tracks.
- Lemon Balm is a member of the mint family. Lemon Balm is essential in ending EBV since, it too is antiviral. Lemon Balm also helps to calm digestion as well as the nervous system.
- Turmeric is arguably the most powerful at reversing disease. It is a highly potent anti-inflammatory root. Turmeric is equally if not more effective than ibuprofen thanks to its main ingredient curcumin, and can be taken by capsule, juiced or as a fresh tea.
- Monolaurin is a powerful antiviral and has been tested in clinical trials for killing the herpes virus. Monolaurin is derived from non other than the amazing the coconut and is a marvel at knocking down the load of EBV.
You Can Fight Back. You Can Heal.
Employing the above rules and having these eleven antivirals on hand when Mono strikes is the absolute best defense against allowing EBV to become your permanent house guest. These antiviral strategies can prove highly effective in stopping EBV from setting up camp in your organs and wrecking havoc on your body down the road. What's more, if you've already had a bout of Mono and show positive for having EBV, these antivirals are effective in knocking down the more advanced viral load too, however, you may need to keep antivirals in your daily routine for a longer period time.
In the end, keeping your diet high in antiviral nutrient-rich fruits and vegetables and keeping the diet low in animal protein and fat will not only help to heal your Mono/EBV in record time, but it will work in lessening and even eradicating EB's destructive viral load permanently so you can get back to college life. Amazon links have been provided for the above mentioned antivirals on our supplements page.
The alternative to spending your hard earned cash on the unreasonably escalated costs of Epipens is common sense, boiling down to one practical and simple adjustment: changing your diet. If that sounds too simplistic to you, that may be because it is (and way less expensive too.)
The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America claims allergic disease, including asthma, is the fifth leading chronic disease in the U.S. in people of all ages. That means, allergies affect as many as 30 percent of adults and 40 percent of children in the United States -- that's a whooping 50 million people.
What is an Allergy?
An allergy is an abnormal sensitivity to a substance, or substances, that are harmless to other individuals. Symptoms such as hay fever, hives, asthma and migraines are often the most common symptoms associated with allergic reactions. Alarmingly, one in 50 Americans has experienced anaphylaxis -- a deadly reaction to food or medication.
This is where the Epipen comes in. When an allergic reaction occurs and there's a threat of a deadly reaction, many people rely on medication. The medication in Epipens is called epinephrine. Epinephrine has become the most relied on, first line of defense to treat a severe allergic reaction. That being said, epinephrine is necessary once a reaction develops however, it is only putting a band aid on the problem.
While it's true that sensitivity is not cause, but merely a link in a chain, it is more important to understand what makes one sensitive, than to know what he is sensitive to. To illustrate, let's look at hay fever. The harmless cause of hay fever is pollen. Is the pollen poisonous? No. Many people do not suffer from breathing in pollen. However, if the pollen bothers some but not all people, then it can't be the pollen causing the problem. It has to be the overall health of the individual reacting to it. This brings us to my point about diet.
Poor Diet Is The Cause of Allergies in Both Adults and Children
A recent study from The Global Allergy and Asthma European Network provides new insights about how diet affects allergies, especially in children. The study suggests that changes in the European diet for the last 20-40 years may have contributed to allergic incidences in both children and adults during this period.
According to The American Institute for Cancer Research, ultra-processed foods make up 59 percent of total calorie intake while, unprocessed or minimally processed foods made up about a third of Americans' total calories which tells us GMOs, added sugars, preservatives, additives, coloring make up most of the American diet.
A Human Body Cannot Live On A Processed Food Diet And Be Healthy
For many Americans health is a birthright. We enter this world with vitality and a clean slate of health. Think of taking a college course. The professor tells his/her class on the first day that everyone has started out with an "A". The professor then tells the class that the work they do during the semester will either maintain that "A" or lower the grade. It's the works the same way with your health. Most of us start out with this 'A' grade at birth, until we are unnecessarily medicated or adopt a processed food habit. This is when we begin to develop allergic sensitivities.
With the Standard American Diet being fast, processed and unhealthy, it's an unknown fact that improper diet is the one driving factor contributing to allergies, and causing the body to react to everything else it encounters; the air, the environment, or a pet . In a sense the human body can become a live wire, sensitive to everything it encounters.
Your Nutrition Is Inherited But Your Allergies Are Not
Nutrition is fundamental. It is not only necessary to maintain our race, but to improve it. Generally, given superior nutrition, living organisms are not only able to maintain their inheritance, but to add to it. Your constitution of health is passed down from generation to generation, not by genetics, but by heredity. To illustrate, if you were born of a parent with a poor constitution of health due to poor nutrition, you may inherit nutritional deficiencies. Add to that being started on processed food diet of baby formula or being fed breastmilk from a nutritionally deficient parent. This lack of proper nutrition lays the ground work for intolerances, also known as allergies.
Additionally, people who suffer from allergies often suffer from many toxemic reactions, such as colds including bronchial and sinus infections. In fact, ask any allergic person about their history of childhood diseases, runny noses, colds, and flu. They have become super sensitive to the world around them.
Correct Allergies By Correcting Diet
Toxemic conditions are caused by acidic diets. The recommended fast and processed food, sugar-laden, high protein Standard American Diet has left many adults and a record amount of America children allergic to nearly everything around them. The way to reverse allergies and avoid the need for an Epipen is by correcting diet.
According to the CDC, only 1 in 10 Americans eats enough fruits and vegetables. This is a dangerous and telling practice. Common sense should tell us that the human body should not work against its food. Instead, the body should work in harmony with its food and science backs this up. In a study published in The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, babies who ate fewer processed foods and more fruits and vegetables, had less allergies.
Additionally, the Harvard School of Public Health, weighs in on cost, saying that on average, eating healthy only costs $1.50 more in comparison to eating unhealthy. The researchers found that healthier diet patterns—diets rich in fruits, vegetables, fish, and nuts—cost significantly more than unhealthy diets (for example, those rich in processed foods, meats, and refined grains). However, this price difference is very small on average in comparison to the economic costs of diet-related chronic diseases, such as allergies, which would be dramatically reduced by healthy diets.
The true savior against allergic reactions has repeatedly revealed itself to be a nourishing, natural diet high in fresh, (preferably organic) fruits and vegetables. Taking this natural, common sense approach to diet; will end most allergic reactions, eliminating America's Epipen crutch for good.
Pneumonia is a common affliction of the lungs that can become serious, or even deadly. What most people don't know about pneumonia though, is that it's a symptom, not a disease, and it happens mostly to people who eat high protein diets.
What, you say? Pneumonia is diet related? Shut. The. Front. Door.
Let me preface the following information by telling you this one simple truth: all disease begins with a weakened body, pneumonia included. What causes a weakened body, you ask? A combination of two things; the lifestyle choices you make and your diet. End of story.
Now, I've been known to eat grass-fed and pastured raised animal protein occasionally, so I'm not getting on a soap box here .... but it's important to understand the significance of how a diet that burdens the body causes every disease, not just pneumonia.
Mucus causing animal protein and dairy can lay the foundation for illness.
Pneumonia usually appears suddenly although it is often preceded by a cold or bronchitis, which incidentally, are brought on by an acidic diet. Symptoms include severe chills followed by a sudden rise in body temperature. There are chest pains, a severe cough and sometimes blood-streaked mucus. Sputum can become orange-yellow, even prune juice colored. There's rapid heart action and yes, near collapse is possible.
Pneumonia can also be caused by the flu or following a medical procedure, however, in most cases, those following the Standard American Diet have already laid the the groundwork for the development of disease.
How a body processes a bad diet leads to all disease, not just pneumonia.
Eggs, dairy, beans and cereals, or other high protein foods eaten in large quantities, coupled with the daily stresses of life, impedes and often weakens the digestive process. When digestion is chronically weakened, and becomes enervated and toxemic from acidosis, disease develops.
To illustrate, fully digesting a high protein meal, like a steak dinner for example, can often take days, where eating high amounts of fruits and vegetables can take hours of digestion time, if not that. A diet that takes days to digest will certainly cause a high amount of stress to the digestive organs and the body in general, since digestion is the body's largest use of energy. It's also the reason you feel tired after eating a large meal.
There's also a strong lack of nourishment involved in eating a poor diet. Many high protein and processed food diets are low in nourishment compared with a diet high in fruits and vegetables. This will leave you deficient, which also leads to disease
All disease can be prevented by making diet and lifestyle changes.
Generally, if you do contract pneumonia, it's important to take a good look at the diet and lifestyle choices that have lead up to the onset of disease: Ask yourself the following questions.
- Have I been eating too high in protein?
- Have I been overeating?
- Am I overworked?
- Am I stressed?
- Have I been getting adequate sleep?
- Have I been eating a diet high in fruits and vegetables?
Although the medical profession freely admits it has never had a cure for pneumonia, this has not prevented the majority of pneumonia sufferers from recovering on their own. This is because pneumonia in itself is a curative process. The high death rate is often attributed to the treatment, not the disease.
Once you have determined what lifestyle factors have lead to pneumonia you can often take the necessary, but opposite, steps to heal it.
- Rest is of the utmost importance during illness and the most necessary to facilitate the process of healing.
- Quiet helps a body to be restful and begin it's healing work. A quiet room with little distractions helps a body focus on healing and get the rest it needs.
- Fasting is essential during disease. Not eating rests the digestive organs, slowing physiological activity so the body can begin its elimination and healing processes. This is often why liquids, such as water, fresh juices and nourishing broths are highly recommended during this time.
- A sunny room speeds healing. Scientific research has shown that patients in rooms that face the sun heal faster than those in rooms that do not.
- Open a window for fresh air during the day and night, provided you don't live in a polluted area. Use a blanket to provide warmth. Both are necessary to attain a flow of proper ventilation and adequate rest.
The fact that so many people heal from pneumonia, even with medications, is a testament to the body's self-curing ability. Under intelligent care, proper diet and mindful lifestyle choices, pneumonia can be healed and health can be restored. Seeking holistic nutritional guidance can be the first step in avoiding not only pneumonia, but all disease.
You've finally made your way to the beach. You set up your chair, sit down to soak up the warm summer sun, then bury your foot in the sand because your big toe is gray and, well, funky. Goodness knows you've tried everything to heal the toe -- tea tree oil, epsom soaks, medicating creams, cutting the nail off, but the funk keeps returning. So there you sit, foot buried in sand, paranoid and praying no one notices the funk that is your toe.
Sound familiar? You're not alone.
Astoundingly, ten percent of Americans are embarrassed by toe fungus. Known by it's clinical name, onychomycosis, toe fungus is caused by a pathogen commonly known as Candida. More seriously, toe fungus is one sign of vitamin deficiency, as well as an early indication of a decline in the immune system.
Yes, you read that right.
Your amazing human body works hard every day to protect from environmental toxins, additives and chemicals in your food, alcohol, physical and emotional stress, and to protect you from disease. When your body is doing well, there's generally a feeling of vitality and wellness. However, when there is early stage disease, the body will show its first symptoms in the extremities. This is your body's way of a) protecting the organs and b) alerting you of weakening health.
Too often we pass off tell-tale symptoms as harmless, but with many chronic conditions the accumulation of these symptoms may be trouble some, such as hair loss and brittle nails with thyroid disease, or acne caused by streptococcus in the body, or unexplained weight gain, boils, or psoriasis due to liver problems. Symptoms appear to warn us of deficiency and disease at it's most reversible stages.
With 90% percent of the population not eating fruits and vegetables, it's no wonder toe fungus, skin conditions, lack of energy, bleeding gums, poor healing of wounds, nose bleeds, colds and chronic inflammation are prevalent.
Luckily, Vitamin C deficiency, toe fungus and many other symptoms can be easily reversed by making mindful lifestyle changes. Some easy ways to reverse Vitamin C deficiency and heal are to increase your intake of whole foods that are high in Vitamin C. These are:
- Red bell peppers
- Dark leafy greens,
- Berries: Wild blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberries and Strawberries
- Citrus fruits
In addition to eating more of the above mentioned foods daily, you can further jack-up your Vitamin C intake by making Rosehip tea a daily habit. Supplementing with a quality Vitamin C, like Liposomal Vitamin C or Ester-C is known to be quite effective too. Because Vitamin C is needed by your body to form an important protein used to make skin, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels, you will find it to be highly essential for the repair of tissues in all parts of your body, especially the toes.
If you could change one habit every day that didn't involve endless hours of pumping iron at the gym or conflicts with your schedule (in fact, this habit saves you time) could you do it?
Sure you could.
The magic bullet to regaining your health comes down to one small change in your daily routine. Admittedly, this isn't easy to do, however, changing just one habit is a small price to pay for a beneficial gain. If you're ready to gain some ridiculous health be prepared to adjust your daily breakfast habits.
Adopting a better breakfast habit will make a tremendous impact on your digestion, gut health, weight, energy levels, male/female fertility, skin clarity, and will improve liver and brain function while dramatically increasing your intake of essential trace minerals and nutrients. Swapping out this one daily habit will alleviate aches and pains, relieve joint pain, reduce inflammation, vastly improve your oral and heart health and it will extend your life. To enjoy these healthful benefits, you'll want to create a fresh start by making fruit part of your morning ritual. Swapping out your morning muffin, bagel, cereal, energy bar, bacon and eggs, or whey protein powder shake with three (or more), delicious, nourishing, healing, succulent, non-inflammatory, glorious fruits for breakfast every day will dramatically turnaround health within thirty days (and help make your new habit permanent).
Here are a dozen quick reasons for why fruit is beneficial for breakfast:
- Fruit is the fastest food on earth, requiring no prep time or cooking.
- Fruit is quickly and easily digested and non-stressing to the digestive tract.
- Fruit is alkaline and helps to maintain the body's alkaline reserves, protecting the bones and your calcium levels.
- Fruit provides much needed natural glucose to the brain and liver that you will surely need access to throughout the day.
- Fruit is fiber-rich.
- Fruit is incredibly hydrating (reducing the need for BPA-filled bottled water)
- relieves constipation.
- Fruit is non-inflammatory.
- Fruit is a highly nourishing source of vitamins and essential trace minerals.
- Fruit will help improve overall mood according to studies (see below).
- Fruit is a healing food.
- Fruit prevents cancer and other diet related diseases.
Let's not forget how important vegetables are too. New research published in the British Journal of Psychology, reports on data collected and analyzed from 405 young adults on whether eating fruits (and vegetables) associates with markers of well being. Subjects of the study kept a diary for 13 days, keeping track of what they ate and what's called their eudaemonic well being -- their state of feeling happy, healthy and meaningful, as well as feelings of well-being, curiosity, creativity, and good and bad moods. Results showed that young adults who ate more fruit and vegetables reported higher average eudaemonic well being -- more intense feelings of curiosity, and greater creativity compared with those who ate less of these foods.
Another study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that high intake of vegetables and fruits lowers the risk of chronic disease. Additionally, a report published in The BMJ concluded that higher fruit intake during adolescence was associated with a lower risk for breast cancer.
Excellent fruits to eat for breakfast include:
- Red apples
- Cucumbers (yes, they're a fruit)
- Berries (especially Wild Blueberries, which are incredibly healing.)
The reason fruit is an excellent food to eat in the morning is because it digests quickly, alleviates constipation and provides less work for the digestive organs, leaving you with enough brain power to make it to lunch. On the downside, if fruit is eaten after a meal, it tends to get stuck behind foods that take longer to process through the digestive tract, thereby causing the release of toxic ammonia gas into the blood stream (much like a fish tank.)
Fruit is available wherever food is sold, may also be purchased locally or can conveniently be homegrown. All fruit should be organic whenever possible. Feel free to enjoy frozen organic fruit when the fruit you desire is not in season.
Happy Habit Changing!
Constipation is a pain in the..... well, you know. Nearly 27% of the population with 40% of those being American, are negatively affected by it. While chronic constipation is more prevalent today than it ever was, it is still often dismissed as nothing serious. However, with upwards of 21 million people being hospitalized with digestive diseases every year and almost 250,000 of those people dying, it safe to say constipation is deadly problem. Because constipation slows the body's most important function -- digestion, as well as the process of elimination, it lays the groundwork for disease slowly and methodically.
Constipation is a slowing or stopping of peristalsis in the digestive tract due to inflammation, or in severe cases atrophy in those addicted to laxatives. It is important to recognize constipation as a symptom, not a disease -- a symptom caused by improper diet, poor gut health and opioid use.
Generally to enjoy good health digestion must be swift, efficient and putrefaction of food in the gut must be avoided. With more of the human population adopting a processed food habit (and obsessing over getting their fiber from processed foods like bread, cereal and cereal bars) symptoms of chronic constipation will not be disappearing anytime soon.
Thankfully, there are easy ways to combat constipation gently and naturally by adapting these easy daily habits:
- Drink fresh lemon juice in warm water with one teaspoon of raw organic honey first thing in the morning, every morning. Fresh lemon, as well as raw organic honey is alkaline in the body. While the lemon is soothing to the digestive tract and cleansing to the liver, the honey is antibacterial and provides the liver with much needed glucose. Additionally, lemon water first thing in the morning helps to complete your body's nightly eliminative work, by gently lubricating the intestinal tract, producing a bowel movement.
- Eat three fruits for breakfast every day (and add some papaya.) Fruit for breakfast is the best way to get an assimilative source of vitamins, minerals and fiber everyday. It is also a sure fire way to have an effortless bowel movement. Ripened banana, berries, red apples, grapes, oranges -- are all excellent fast foods to enjoy for breakfast. Papaya is particularly nourishing, high in fiber and extremely soothing to the intestinal tract.
- Swap out animal protein for plant-based protein - If you are eating high amounts of animal protein, you may (unknowingly) be creating digestive stress. Besides creating a sluggish liver, insulin resistance and stressing the kidneys, eating high amounts of animal protein slows digestion. The energy spent on digesting animal protein versus plant protein enervates the body and plays a huge part in delaying transit time from mouth-to-out. Additionally animal protein may take hours, or days to reach the colon and since it's already intrinsically acid, it creates more acidity when undigested. To start, a plant-based diet is more alkaline, working with the body's processes instead of against them. Plant-based foods high in magnesium are particularly beneficial in ending constipation. These can be found in beans and nuts and green leafy vegetables.
- Avoid starch, dairy and wheat. If you suffer from IBS-C and you are chronically constipated, starch, dairy and wheat are not your friends. Starch in any form (particularly in potatoes, white rice, and unripened bananas) will slow digestive flow by the added step of the body having to convert starch to sugar. Dairy on the other hand, (think milk, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream) cause of constipation in those who are intolerant to it, particularly in babies. Dairy is not only mucous-forming, it's acidic and inflammatory in the body. Wheat products such as pasta and cereals are bloating, slow to move through the digestive tract and are also acid-forming. Wheat is also astoundingly low in dietary fiber as compared to fresh vegetables and fruit.
- Abdominal Massage is a gentle and relaxing way to self-stimulate your digestive tract to get moving. Just five minutes of abdominal massage daily is believed to nudge activity in the digestive process bringing relief.
Avoid frequent laxative use. Chronic use of laxatives can cause dependence and may stop peristaltic activity permanently. Get fiber from fruit and vegetables instead of from processed foods. Ensure fruit for breakfast becomes daily life-long habit. By implementing these new and healthy daily habits you can put constipation behind you! (Pardon the pun.)
When it comes to losing weight, commercial diet plans will stop at nothing to get you to believe that their diet works. They will tell you:
- You can eat all the processed junk you want and still lose the weight.
- You can eat at restaurants every night and still lose the weight.
- You can eat high amounts of protein and still lose the weight.
In fact, commercial diet plans have become especially creative in getting their clients to believe in unhealthy and irresponsible methods of weight-loss. They often do this by using celebrity endorsements. One diet plan on the radar, no thanks to Kim Kardashian, is the Atkins plan -- the plan that killed the doctor who created it -- Dr. Robert Atkins himself, who died of a massive heart attack.
For those not familiar with the Atkins plan, it is a high protein, low fat, low carb diet that strains the organs into ketosis, whereby jumpstarting the body to burn its fat reserves.
In an attempt to resurrect the infamous and "now newly updated" Atkins Diet, Kim Kardashian has gotten on board the rah-rah-rah train to breath new life into the plan. Her personal reason for doing Atkins after both pregnancies is simple: it worked for her late father, Rob Kardashian, who incidentally, diet of cancer.
If you think Rob Kardashian's cancer and his high protein diet practices aren't related, think again. Acidic, high protein diets wreck human health, hinder weight loss and in the long run and lay the groundwork for disease. Here's a sneak peak of a chapter from my book EAT! -- Empower. Adjust. Triumph! Lose Ridiculous Weight where I discuss the dangers of a high protein diet like the Atkins plan.
"Dr. Robert Atkins, remember him? He was a cardiologist and the founder of the famous Atkins Diet – a highly acidic, high-protein, high-fat, low-carb diet. Ironically, Dr. Atkins died of cardiac arrest – proof that his own acidic diet plan had failed him.
Now that you've been empowered by understanding the importance of the alkaline/acid balance, and you know that diets high in animal protein are acidic to a body that is naturally alkaline, it becomes clear that diets like Atkins are too dangerously high in protein for good health and for weight loss to be permanent. High protein diets are vitamin stingy. Have you looked at how much Vitamin C – a vitamin humans would die without – is in animal protein? I’ll save you the effort – the amount of Vitamin C contained in animal protein is zero. While there is hesitance to reduce protein in our diets due to an underlying fear that we aren’t getting enough, this fear is not based in reality, since the western diet affords us more than twice the amount of protein we need and is high in saturated fat that is killing us.
Dr. T. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study, suggests we need only five to six percent of total calories from protein. This is lower than the recommended daily allowance (RDA) for the average adult of 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight – roughly ten percent protein. Subsequently, if you turn to nature you’ll see that the estimation of ten percent protein is about right, since breast milk, the milk Nature created for the greatest growth spurt of our lives, is also under ten percent. Subsequently, eating a diet high in animal protein, especially during middle age, makes you four times more likely to die of cancer than someone with a low-protein, plant-based diet. This is a mortality risk factor comparable to smoking twenty cigarettes a day. Let that sink in. This astounding information has initiated the 2015 U.S. dietary guidelines to back off from meat and promote sustainability by eating more plant-based foods. (For children and those over sixty- five years of age, protein intake does need to be increased by about two percent.)
Animal protein is classified as meat, eggs, poultry, fish and milk. Some folks insist on eating a small amount of animal protein as a natural source of Vitamin B12. This is ok if there are no digestive issues, but generally, people with leaky gut, IBS and Crohn’s disease tend to overwork the digestive tract by eating animal protein. They never allow their gut to heal because it's so ingrained in them to eat protein with every meal that they can’t imagine life without it. With this in mind, eating animal protein is nothing more than a habit. I do not mean to say that health cannot exist by not eating animal products; but the truth is you cannot be as healthy with animal products as you can be without them. Every meal containing animal protein renders you more liable to various forms of chronic disease and cancer. Your intake of animal protein, especially red meat, should be kept to a minimum of four ounces, four times per month. All other protein should come from a plant source of nuts, beans, seeds, fruits and vegetables. Any meat that is processed or cured such as hot dogs, cold cuts, bacon and dried meats should be avoided since these have also been strongly linked to causing cardiovascular disease and cancer.
In a 2012 Nurses’ Health Study and Health Professionals Follow-Up Study, 120,000 men and women were investigated for more than two decades. Processed red meats were strongly linked to death from cardiovascular disease. Every additional 1.5 ounce serving of processed red meat consumed each day was linked to a twenty percent increase in the risk of cardiovascular disease death. With every additional three-ounce serving of unprocessed red meat the study participants ate, their risk of dying from cardiovascular disease increased by thirteen percent. Interestingly, when I researched deaths of people eating plant-based protein, there was no data.
What’s more, researchers estimated that if all the men and women in the study had reduced their total red meat and processed meat intake to less than half a serving per day, and replaced them with healthier plant-based substitutions of protein, one in ten cardiovascular disease deaths would have been prevented. Eliminating animal protein can save lives.
Further, in a nutritional 2013 update for physicians, it was recommended that doctors recommend a plant-based diet to all their patients, especially those with high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, or obesity. If your doctor hasn’t done this yet, you may want to find yourself a new doctor.
Not surprisingly, the largest land animals in the world – elephants, hippos, giraffes – are exclusively vegetarian. No different than humans in how they utilize protein, these animals grow to be thousands of pounds by eating nothing but plants. These animals couldn't grow to be ginormous if plants weren't loaded with protein, yet many people still insist they need their animal protein with every meal. Common vegetables have more protein than we need, and contrary to popular myth, they're also complete proteins.
Incidentally, for the purpose of bodybuilding more protein is not better. What if I told you that your body is doubly stressed by training and eating a high protein diet? It’s true. Your body perceives training as stress and your body perceives digesting meat for up to three days as stress. You say you’re not overeating? If you’re eating more than ten percent protein daily, you’re overeating. Not only are your muscles exhausted, your organs are exhausted by having to digest your high intake of protein. This combination of inner and outer stress will inevitably cause you to burn out. Additionally, ingesting high amounts of protein during training will not promote greater gains in strength or fat- free mass.
No thanks to diets like Atkins, it has long been a mistaken belief that high amounts of protein are needed for training and bodybuilding and while I know there are concerns about getting enough protein on any diet, these are probably due to USDA recommendations of consuming ten to thirty five percent of calories from dietary protein. However, this is outdated advice. Based on what we know about the dangers of eating high amounts of animal protein, the new, 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee suggests that a diet higher in plant-based foods, such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds, and lower in calories and animal based foods is more health promoting and is associated with less environmental impact than is the current U.S. diet. Many national health agencies, including the World Health Organization recommend we need between five percent to fifteen percent of our total calories from protein, stating that ten percent is in fact adequate as Dr. Campbell has recommended.
Notably, plant protein shakes do not fit into this picture. Even if soybean and peas were dried and pulverized into powered form, how much nutritional content do you think you would get from them? We eat whole plant foods for a reason. We eat them in their whole, raw form because this is how the best digestibility, assimilation and absorption of nutrients occur. Vitamins are delicate things and they are easily lost when we process, cook, grind and chop our plant foods. Therefore, when you dry, and then pulverize plant foods into a “protein powder” they’ve lost their vitamins in both the drying and grinding process and become nutritionally dead foods.
If you’re even thinking of replacing real fruit and vegetable protein with a powered alternative, you’re missing the point of this book. Plant protein shakes are a processed foodstuff. They are loaded with synthetic ingredients that the body has no use for and are, by all accounts, synthetic junk. Avoid them.
In his book The 80-10-10 Diet, Douglas Graham explains, “Protein’s predominant minerals are acidic minerals – chlorine, phosphorus, and sulfur.” The body will try to compensate for acidic pH by using alkaline minerals. Therefore, an acidic diet exhausts alkaline reserves. To maintain its alkaline balance the body must counterbalance the acidity caused by the excess protein. It does this by going beyond its exhausted alkaline reserves leaching the alkaline mineral, calcium from the bones and teeth. This is where we begin to see tooth decay, osteoporosis, knee and hip weakness, arthritis, vertigo and other calcium deficient maladies in middle age.
Fruits and vegetables contain just the right amount of alkaline protein (calcium, sodium, magnesium and potassium) to build and maintain the human body and its processes and replenish the body’s alkaline reserve. Swap animal protein options on your current diet plan with at least eighty percent nutrient-rich plant-based protein sources like those in leafy green foods, beans, nuts, seeds and fruit whenever possible. Keeping fruit and vegetable intake high replenishes alkaline reserves, prevents the body from becoming acidic and will also help you lose ridiculous weight and gain ridiculous health!"
While high protein diets may initially result in short-term weight loss, the dangers of a high protein diet have been proven as dangerous as smoking twenty cigarettes a day by researchers of the University of Southern California. Celebrity endorsements of diets such as these shouldn't be revered as healthful, but rather disease forming.
Given the epidemic of poor health in America, it's no surprise that a study of 19,000 women by the Harvard School of Public Health found a higher incidence of ovary disorders in women who consumed more processed foods (i.e, trans fats, bad carbs), and animal protein. In fact, research indicates that GMOs, which are found mostly in the above mentioned foods as well as conventionally grown produce, could be a major cause of infertility.
As a prospective mother-to-be, your health prior to conception is the single most important requirement for conception to actually occur. We all know that processed foods no matter how decorated they are as 'healthy' are nutritionally dead and acidic in the body. The body works against these foods, not with them, and they are often times difficult to digest. Therefore, if your body is working against what you're eating day-in and day-out (or worse, doesn't recognize what you're eating as food) a successful and viable pregnancy is out of the question.
Good vitality and good health are the number one essential requirement to fulfill your conceptive role as "Mom." To be vital means to have a body that is resilient to what you're feeding it and what you're exposed to. To illustrate, let's examine the benefits of having good health pre and post pregnancy.
Here are some ways your body lets you know when you're experiencing good health:
- Relatively easy pregnancy and delivery.
- Adequate milk supply.
- Low Anxiety.
- Abundant energy to care for baby as well as the inflow of family members.
- Being able to swing midnight feedings effortlessly.
- No postpartum depression.
While vegetables are a very important and very necessary part of re-gaining your health and vastly improving nutrition-- particularly leafy greens and lots of nutrient-rich asparagus, there's another food that seals the conception deal for mother's to be. (Hint: They don't call babies the "fruit of your loin" for nothing.)
The one food you want to be eating to increase chances of conception is fruit. We're not talking one fruit a day. We're talking five to seven fresh organic fruits each day. Fruits help to boost ovulation. Eating at least five to seven fruits each day, everyday, at least six months to one year prior to conception, is what you require to jack up your health and jumpstart your pregnancy success. Fruits should be organic and from the freshest source possible. If you grow your own fruit, terrific -- fresh grown or farm fresh fruits will provide the good bacteria necessary to repopulate your gut and improve overall health. Getting fruit from a farm or natural supermarket where you know the food is fresh is an acceptable alternative -- just keep fruits and vegetables organic and non-GMO. Additionally, you'll want to avoid other lifestyle mistakes as well, such as smoking, drinking, high stress, inadequate sunshine and improper rest.
Which fruits should you eat to jumpstart conception and your health? The sky's the limit! According to the Mayo Clinic, the following are technically fruits to enjoy anytime. anywhere and anyhow: avocado, beans, pea pods, corn kernels, cucumbers, grains, nuts, olives peppers, pumpkin, squash, sunflower seeds and tomatoes. To this you should add apples, citrus, melons, stone fruits, grapes, bananas, papaya, wild blueberries, berries, cherries and tropical fruits!
Generally and digestively speaking, breakfast is the preferred time to have your fruit. To reach your daily quota of five to seven fruits per day, enjoy fruits in a smoothie, take some on-the-go. Eat fruit until noon, then enjoy leafy green salads with other quality vegetables and plant-based foods for dinner for best results.
Whether you're planning to become a mother for the first time or the seventh time, eating fruit will help in boosting your chances of conception. Have fun eating more fruit pre-pregnancy, post pregnancy and beyond!
You started a new diet plan and you're psyched to be eating more of your favorite seasonal foods. Thing is, each time you eat fruits, vegetables and legumes, you suffer with gas and bloating. This may be happening for several reasons.
First, understand that natures foods, particularly fruits, vegetables and beans are the real deal. These foods contain water and real fiber, versus cellulose and other fake fiber additives found in processed and "fortified" food. When you initially increase your amount of fruits, vegetables and legumes there is going to be a natural reaction. This natural reaction of adjustment: bloating, gas and discomfort is a telling indication of your current gut health. That being said, if your body reacts to fruits, vegetables, legumes and other natural fibrous foods negatively. it's a sure bet your current gut health is in question.
Other reasons your body could be reacting negatively to highly nutritious, fibrous and natural foods could stem from your previous diet being too high animal products, wheat ,dairy, and processed foods. When you think about it, your body has had to adjust to these foods at one time. In fact, because of the American willingness to eat a diet high in these foods, many carry at minimum, five to twenty-five pounds of dried fecal matter in their gut at all times. Eating a high amount of fruits and vegetables and allowing the processes of elimination to occur naturally help to correct this.
The best remedy for improving gut health and addressing your bloating and gas issue is simple: continue to eat more vegetables, fruit, beans and legumes and allow your body to do it's adjusting and eliminative work. In time your amazing body will adjust to this new and healthy way of eating, in the same way that it has adjusted to your bad diet. This is what the body does: it adjusts. For example, if you drank alcohol, your body has had no choice but to adjust to it, or you would've died. Whether you remember or not, eating processed junk and fast foods came with their adjustment reactions as well. Rest assured, if you have switched to eating fruits, vegetables, beans, legumes and other plant-based foods that contain awesome amounts of real fiber, minerals and vitamins your body is going to adjust. Stay with it.
One easy way to ease into a diet that requires eating more fruits and vegetables than you're accustomed to, is to properly combine what you're eating, so as not to further aggravate the digestive tract.
- Add celery juice to your diet. Drinking celery juice first thing in the morning will correct digestion in as little as one week.
- Eat the same fruits together. For example, eat two oranges, or two apples or three bananas at breakfast instead of mixing them until the digestive tract adjusts to having fruit.
- Sip ginger tea anytime there's stomach upset to ease symptoms immediately.
- Do not drink fermented fruit. An example would be wine or any other alcoholic beverage with a salad or even with fruit. (Think sangria.)
- Prepare simple salads that pack at minimum three vegetable ingredients, then add more accordingly.
- Keep all plant-based foods organic if possible.
Enjoy eating fruits and vegetables with the understanding that your gut health needs to be improved and your digestive tract is reacting to a positive change. Give your body the time it needs and it will become adjusted to eating more and more fruits and vegetables, while improving your gut and overall health as well.
You're dieting, exercising, eating fruit and salads and you're still gaining weight. You're at your wits end and blame it on your age, your genes, your metabolism, your luck. The problem may be your liver.
Your liver is the largest organ in your body. As such, it is one of the most used and essential body parts. Your liver is vital in the process of digesting nutrients, as well as providing vitamins, nutrients and helping in the excretion of waste. Additionally, the liver metabolizes and breaks down the products of digestion and detoxifies materials that are harmful in the body, such as ammonia and alcohol. It is a storage house of Vitamin B12, iron and copper. You couldn't live without your liver.
The liver is also responsible for making cholesterol and other fats that are needed by the body. It produces immune factors to fight infection, regulates hormones, blood clotting and also produces bile.
When it comes to metabolism your amazing liver is an essential metabolic organ. You may be asking yourself how the liver does all this miraculous work? The answer is surprising: glucose. That's right -- your liver needs lots of sugar for it's metabolic work. As an insulin-regulated organ, the liver's behavior changes depending on the level of insulin in the body and its sensitivity to that insulin. The type of sugar the liver needs is not refined however, it is natural sugars provided in fruits and vegetables. To illustrate, when levels of glucose (and consequently insulin) are high in the blood, the liver responds to the insulin by absorbing the glucose.and bundling the sugar into granules called glycogen, filling up the liver cells, so the liver becomes a storehouse for excess glucose to be released to maintain the smooth function of the adrenals and the pancreas during times when you're not eating. Conversely, any abnormal metabolism of glucose in the liver promotes insulin resistance, diabetes, and nonalcoholic fatty liver diseases and this can cause you to hang on to weight.
We don't gain weight because we're getting old. We don't develop Type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure or heart disease because of age either. We develop these diseases because the liver, over time has become unable to do it's filtering work. This is a diet related issue. When this filtering process becomes sluggish or blocked, symptoms of hypertension, high cholesterol, Type 2 diabetes and heart disease appear.
The liver is the number one fat burning organ in the body and when you can't seem to lose weight no matter what you do, you liver relies on your to help it get working again. The very good news is the liver is regenerative. This is in large part due to the fact that the liver has an immune system of its own. This means, major diseases can be thwarted by taking special care of it.
You likely have a sluggish liver if:
- You are obese
- Eat a diet high in protein and fat (animal products)
- Eat fast and processed foods
- Drink Alcohol excessively
Three easy ways to begin gently healing the liver include:
- Drinking lemon water daily upon waking.
- Lowering animal protein in the diet.
- Lowering fat in the diet.
- Drinking dandelion root tea with a teaspoon of raw organic honey, especially before bed.
- Green vegetable juicing.
- Carefully targeted natural supplementation.
A sluggish liver can affect anyone at any age. Generally, healing a sluggish liver completely may take anywhere from one month to one year depending on severity, but the effort is well worth the health benefit and the weight loss if this is needed. If you feel you're a candidate for a sluggish liver, and want to reverse it, consult with a holistic nutritional practitioner or naturopath to begin making diet and lifestyle changes immediately.